Neodymium magnets are made of a combination of iron, boron and neodymium and, to ensure their maintenance, handling and care, we must first know that these are the strongest magnets in the world and can be produced in various forms, such as discs, blocks, cubes, rings, bars and spheres.
The coating of neodymium magnets made of nickel-copper-nickel gives them an attractive silver surface. Therefore, these spectacular magnets serve perfectly as gifts for craftsmen, fanatics and creators of models or products.
But just as they have a powerful adhesive force and are capable of being produced in miniature sizes, neodymium magnets require specific maintenance, handling and care in order to keep them in optimum working order and avoid accidents.
In fact, following the following safety and use guidelines could prevent potential injury to people and/or damage to your new neodymium magnets, because they are not toys and should be treated as such.
Neodymium magnets are the most powerful rare earth compound commercially available. If not handled properly, especially when handling 2 or more magnets at once, fingers and other parts of the body may be pinched. The powerful forces of attraction can cause neodymium magnets to come together with great force and catch you by surprise. Be aware of this and wear proper protective equipment when handling and installing neodymium magnets.
As mentioned, neodymium magnets are very strong and can cause physical injury, while small magnets can pose a choking hazard. If ingested, the magnets can be joined together through the intestinal walls and this requires immediate medical attention because it can cause serious intestinal injury or death. Do not treat neodymium magnets the same way as toy magnets and keep them away from children and babies at all times.
Strong magnetic fields can adversely affect pacemakers and other implanted medical devices, although some implanted devices are equipped with a magnetic field closure function. Avoid placing neodymium magnets near such devices at all times.
Do not machine or drill neodymium magnets, as neodymium powder is extremely flammable and may present a fire hazard.
Avoid placing neodymium magnets near magnetic media, such as credit/debit cards, ATM cards, membership cards, discs and computer drives, cassette tapes, video tapes, televisions, monitors and screens.
Although most magnets have a neodymium disc protected by a steel pot, the neodymium material itself is extremely fragile. Do not attempt to remove the magnetic disk as it will probably break down. When handling multiple magnets, allowing them to come together tightly can cause the magnet to rupture.
Neodymium magnets come with a triple coating to mitigate corrosion. However, when used underwater or outdoors in the presence of moisture, corrosion can occur over time, which will degrade the magnetic force. Careful handling to avoid damage to the coating will prolong the life of your neodymium magnets. To repel moisture, keep your magnets and cutlery.
Do not use neodymium magnets near extreme heat sources. For example, near a rotisserie, or the engine compartment or near your car's exhaust system. The operating temperature of a neodymium magnet depends on its shape, grade and use, but may lose strength if exposed to extreme temperatures. The most common grade magnets withstand temperatures of approximately 80 °C.